Mount Crested Butte

Mount Crested Butte

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Children.

Applying for jobs is a complete drag.  After struggling to find employment last summer I told myself I would stay ahead of the game this time around.  I applied for several nannying jobs, let every person I know that I was home for the summer and that I was able to house sit/ dog sit/ babysit/etc... All that integrity landed me not one, not two, not three but SEVERAL jobs.  Thank you Jesus.

Let me give you the low down on this week:  I have babysat for 2 different families, nannied these 2 precious girls that I get to work with ALL summer, house sat, taken care of 2 different families pets, photo sessions & worked at my church in the nursery.  I'm probably missing something, but anyway... this has been a very busy week and the following will be just as crazy.

I feel like I could be in a movie; shuttling kids around, waking up at dawn to feed dogs, playing barbies and picking play-dough out of my nails.  I am a certified housewife.  Not really, but I mean...

So, I love kids.  Love, love, love.  I love them enough to spend my summer coloring, blowing bubbles, changing diapers, watching ridiculous TV shows and painting wiggly toes and fingers.  You know what else is fun?  Partaking in their imagination:  Today I was able to pull a story out of my butt about a crocodile named Lucy who snuck onto a boat with her penguin friend named Penelope.  I went on and on for 10 minutes, the 2 & 4 year old were appalled & frankly, so was I.  I knew I had an imagination, but really?

So my point... The reason I love kids so much is because of their innocence!  Once the story about Lucy & Penelope was over they continued to ask questions, "well after they arrived in Australia were they able to escape the big black spider?" (Lucy & Penelope had to hide from the big black spider "Blacky" while on board the 'Barton').  These two kids were so invested in the well-being of Lucy & Penelope that they were asking me to continue the story as I was walking out the door.  I envy their innocence and the beauty that holds.

(Imagine this being said in a high pitched tone) "Oh hi mommy, come with me.  I think I am going to make you some dinner" Remember when you would pretend to talk like a baby with a doll and your voice would raise several octaves?  I'm officially THAT girl.  Today I was the baby pony and I was supposed to follow the mom around and do everything she was told.  Of course I had the 4 year old telling me (the baby horse) what to say every other sentence and whenever I tried to add in my own dialogue the four year old would get upset and tell me, "That's not what the baby pony says, she says this..."

Oh and another thing... Yesterday the four year old was able to entertain herself with a purple bracelet for 25 minutes. WHAT?  She used her imagination, turing the bracelet into a hula hoop for her fingers, she pretended it was a flying saucer, then a sun, then a frisbee... She went on and on and on.  I was so impressed by how many different things this bracelet could be turned into.

With all this being said, I am going to try and take on the mindset of a four year old more often.  I am going to blow bubbles because they are pretty, I am going to use blocks to build a castle and I am going to pretend I am buying the oversized dollhouse so the four year old can check me out at the store.  Children are so much fun and I've really enjoyed taking on their perspective this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment