Mount Crested Butte

Mount Crested Butte

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Seek the beauty.


“Young writers should read books past bedtime and write things down when they are supposed to be doing something else.” 

I should definitely still be studying, but then this quote came to mind and I figured what would jotting a few thoughts down hurt? 
I am writing via McKenzie Park this afternoon.  My sweet roommate decided that going to the park would be the only appropriate thing to do with her afternoon considering it's a glorious 65 degrees outside, so I decided she was right and that I would tag along.  As we were leaving our apartment it looked like the two of us were headed off to a camping trip: backpacks, fold out chair, hammock, nalgene, strawberries and popcorn. 

Lubbock is not pretty guys, like not even a little bit.  Maybe when it snows it’s pretty and in the fall when you’re surrounded by a few of the ten trees this city has it shines a little, but not much.  As I was sitting here studying I looked up to admire the pretty pond in front of me and I thought, “Man this is gorgeous!”  In that moment there was nothing sweeter than this view…



To you it looks like a blue sky, a small pond, a few trees and a there is an ugly grey truck in the background that completely throws the picture off.  But what you don’t see is the completely content feeling in my heart.  What you don’t see is my best friend hanging in a hammock behind me reading a book.  What you don’t see is the constant, light breeze that is gently blowing my hair in front of my eyes.  What you don’t see is that about every three minutes that cool breeze turns into a warm breeze that has my heart beating at all different speeds. 

I believe that the Lord has given me a heart that always strives to seek out the beauty.  Sometimes seeking out the beauty in things leaves me disappointed, but I would rather have the heart I have than a heart that sits here and sees only the brown grass, that hears only the loud ducks and smells only the light stench.  Today is a gift and even though our society is teaching us to view life with an ugly lens I will not conform. 

I will seek the beauty.    





Just reading through my rhetoric book & they're talking about Jesus for like 3 whole pages!  


Popcorn in a zip lock bag, for the win!


Hannah's new patty backpack that she loves!  



No comments:

Post a Comment