Mount Crested Butte

Mount Crested Butte

Sunday, December 23, 2012

The 5 senses of Christmas!

Just a little FYI, as I write this I want you all to be aware of the pants I am wearing.  They are some comfy Christmas pajama bottoms that I'm not sure I have words for.  Just imagine patches of different colored snowflakes, we've got some polk-a-dots, a little red ribbon and a whole lot of greens and reds.  They are rather embarrassing, but at some point I thought they were a solid gift so I'll sport them on this eve of Christmas eve.  

So my family is HUGE on traditions and I guess I can take about 80% of the blame for making us that way (if we do something once, I insist we do it again the next year, the EXACT same way).  

The eve of Christmas Eve is the night my family piles in a car, Trevor in the trunk, and we drive around listening to our favorite Christmas CD (Hilary Duff, of course) and look at Christmas lights.  We then come home and watch A Charlie Brown Christmas, that's what we're doing right now.  We're all sprawled out on the couch in the media room, enjoying homemade creme brulee!  All is right in the world. 

I wanted to share the 5 senses of Christmas, according to me!  

When I think of Christmas, this is what I expect to see:
Lots of wrapping paper, ribbon and tissue paper.  Wrapping is an art form here at the Huante's house.  






Along with al those wrapping goodies the way my house is decorated is what Chritmas looks like to me.  This view gives me the warm in fuzzies in a way that nothing else can. 



This is what Christmas tastes like:
Mom's cheddar potato soup.  One of our many traditions is eating this delicious soup & finger sandwiches for dinner on Christmas Eve.  Mom made a huge pot today so we'll get to eat it tomorrow night, then the next and the next, until all that cheesy goodness is gone. 



This is what Christmas smells like:  Mom's toffee.  This is my most favorite thing about Christmas time.  Mom probably makes somewhere between 8 and 10 batches a year.  This stuff is indescribable.  Just imagine a pound of butter, 2 cups of sugar, pecans and a whole crap load of chocolate all put into one.  Making this stuff requires a special touch and my mom has it!  I cannot remember a Christmas that she wasn't making this stuff.  The smell is wonderful, it lingers throughout our whole house for hours after she makes it (she made a batch about an hour ago and the smell is stuck in my nose).

(This was taken before all the chocolate was spread.  HOLY YUMM!) 



This is what Christmas sounds like:  Hilary Duff, Disney Christmas, Aly & Aj.  Go ahead, laugh.  We laugh too, but these albums are TRADITION.  We jam to these for a month straight, put them in a drawer when Christmas is over then pull them out 11 months later.  



This is what Christmas feels like (substituting for touch, because what is a "touch" of Christmas supposed to mean anyway):  Peace, joy, love.  This picture was taking a few days ago when my family went to downtown Fort Worth to walk around.  Being surrounded by these crazy fools is exactly what Christmas feels like.  We all turn into 5 year olds during this time of the year, hints the Hilary Duff Christmas CD.  I love these people!!



Well friends I'm going to go enjoy the rest of A Charlie Brown Christmas with those crazy kids pictured above.  I hope you all have the most Merry of Christmas' :) 



HAHAHA before we made our way upstairs to start this movie my dad snagged this photo of me blogging!  Check out the pants.  Festive, huh?  

No comments:

Post a Comment